Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I REPENT

This was the first time we used a laundromat washing machine that required two quarters in each slot to pay for the wash. We had put the single coins in and couldn't figure out why the machine wouldn't start. As we fiddled around with it a man seated nearby came over, hearing our confusion, and explained the process. That solved it. We were amazed to learn that the man was blind. His eyes appeared normal.  He had no dark glasses and seemed to make his way around the laundromat just fine. 


I immediately felt an inner urge to be able to speak to him about the Lord. I went out to our car and retrieved  my computer and the two hour story of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, including a salvation altar call at the end. He had put clothes in a drier and sat down, so I grabbed my computer and went over where he was. 


"Hi! Thanks for helping us with that washer. Can I sit here with my computer?"  He was glad to have company and we began to chat. 


"How long have you been blind?" I asked.


"Well, I'm not totally blind yet, I have very limited sight, but it's getting worse. It's been at its worst for the last six months. It's from diabetes."


I expressed sympathy and asked how it has effected his life.


"My life is destroyed." He said. "I've taught music all my life, and now I've lost my job.I've traveled the country playing my trumpet in night clubs and bars, churches and schools, but that's pretty much over now. I can't drive any more. I live with my 90 year old mother and do our laundry here each week."


I told him how Jesus could bring him peace in the time of difficulty; that he can forgive our sins and help us to forgive others, that He could make a way where there seems to be no way. 


I longed to reach him with the Gospel, but I could tell this was going to be a tough one. As the conversation continued he told me about a church that never paid him for his "show". He spread the word and won't go back there. That's when I mentioned that every church isn't a biblical church, just like everyone who calls himself a Christian may not be one. Jesus said, "Not everyone that sayeth unto me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my father which is in heaven."


"Yeah, I used to go to church. I know all about that. " and then he wandered off in another direction. 


I tried to draw him back to being prepared for eternity. 


"When you stand before the Lord in eternity, why should he let you into his heaven?"
It was easy to see that he was going to justify himself by his good deeds and living a decent life. 
 "Well have you ever told a lie?" I asked.


"Sure, but that was fifty years ago."  ( I wondered if that was an up-to-date lie!)


"Have you ever stolen anything." I continued.
"No! I have my own set of ethics and that's one thing I don't do."


"Well Jesus said that if a man even looks on a woman to lust after her he has already committed adultery in his heart.  Have you ever looked on a woman that way?" I dared to ask.


Laughing, he replied,  "Of course, I worked in night clubs!"


"So what are you going to do about those sins you just confessed?  How will you get rid of them?  No sin will enter heaven, and sin doesn't just disappear with time."


He stumbled around with words....


"The Bible tells us that the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed on the cross, is the only acceptable sacrifice to remove the sins of those who receive Him as Savior...."


I hardly got the sentence out of my mouth when he announced, "Oh, my laundry is done. I repent." 


And he walked away, still blinded in his eyes, and still in spiritual blindness. You don't win them all, but you pray that they will remember your words and that the Holy Spirit will continue to speak to their heart.  


He did seem thankful for the Jesus Story, and said he would listen to it at home.  Lord, don't let him forget our conversation.  As he hears more about you, Lord, please bring him to true repentance and salvation!


Never stop taking the opportunities that the Lord brings your way. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bring his sheaves with him!  Psalm 126: 6



















No comments:

Post a Comment